Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Oh No! Not the 'S' word !!!

Yesterday morning, after the kids had gone to school, I was sitting at the computer, when I looked up to see Snow falling!!!!
It's only mid November and it is possible to see the white stuff, but Seriously!!!

I am not ready!!!

By 6:30 this morning, the ground looked like this...

and the kids' little snow creation....

a Snow baby on a Snowboard (actually a Skateboard without wheels) graced our lawn...

Scrappy....

this scrappy quilt has been sandwiched and waiting for a looong time to be quilted...

and I am still thinking about how I will quilt it!

Swaps!!!! Sometimes, swaps end up being more work than I anticipated!!!!

I signed up for the DSQ5 (Doll Quilt Swap 5) some time ago and was partnered with woman who "likes vintage reproduction anything- 1930's, civil war, etc., love anything childrens or with children in it. love the color red. dislike purple, bacon, and cleaning toilets. "

So, we have some similarities (I mean who likes cleaning toilets?!) but many differences. I perused her flickr album and her blog for some ideas...

and started playing with the red idea....
I have a few reds, so I started making some wonky log cabins...
but I thought to myself, is this getting old for a swap? I mean, I had all ready done a couple of log cabins for swaps...
The front of doll quilt for swap III So I decided to table that idea and look around for something new and maybe a bit more challenging (at least mentally)...

Looking at my partner's photos, I noticed that she liked Denise Schmidt's fabrics and since I liked those fabrics too and I had used some of those fabrics to make some gifts this past spring....Family Time
I had a few scraps and more (okay! a lot more!)...
I tried a couple of free pieced churn dash blocks on linen but well... I dunno... they didn't do anything for me! I wasn't sure it would make for an exciting doll quilt!

Moving on.... I thought about my love of making houses, so I tried a paper pieced house...

and I used white fabric in my block (a real first for me!!!)Gradually, I made more...
But what to do with these houses????

Well...I put them together like this... but this was kind of complicated, so I ripped them apart and started playing with other layouts....
and I even tried adding a couple of log cabins (those logs keeping creeping up again and again!)
But I finally settled on this layout ...
and I moved those lonely logs to the back...

I used scraps of the fabric to make the binding and I stitched in the ditch on those houses ....
and as in my last post tute, I used freezer paper templates to quilt identical houses...

in the white blocks...
This is the back....
and close up....
So now you know how my brain works and my projects evolve...

Sick, huh???

The doll quilt is finally done (!) and off to my (yet-unnamed) partner
and I am off make.......
Stockings!!!!


P.S. Stay tuned... that red/white log cabin may make an appearance as a giveaway in a future post!!!!

18 comments:

  1. I'm a little jealous of a lot of things here....the snow...the red and white wip....the stunning doll quilt....ack! Beautiful work -as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about snow-too early! The doll quilt is beautiful and I loved seeing the progression to finished product. I am still loving the wonky red log cabins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your scrappy quilt. I've always wanted to do one, but then I stess because my scraps don't match! How anal is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not to happy about the snow either, however my 3 year-old loves it! The scrappy quilt is gorgeous, and I love those house quilts you've been making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If that red and white quilts ends up in a giveaway then I'm just warning everyone not to bother entering because I'm going to win it:)

    I love the quilting on the house quilt - it looks fantastic!

    Looking at the scrappy one you want to quilt and couldn't decide how, if it were me I think I would do spiral circles on the triangle bits, and just a squigly/wavy line down the frame bits. Do you like my technical terms??!

    We haven't had snow here yet but it sure is getting cold. I'm sure it's on the way. Darn it. Could you just keep it at your house for a while....say 4 months....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The doll quilt ended up looking gorgeous.
    Your partner is very lucky.
    Andi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your doll quilt makes me want to join every swap in blogland, in the crazy hope that I would be swapped something so gorgeous....

    ReplyDelete
  8. when I was younger it used to always snow on or around my bro's birthday ( 15th nov ) it hasn't for a few years now tho - looks like you got it instead
    lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the insight into your design process! The House quilt turned out beautifully. Love the scrappy quilt too. Enjoy the first snow of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the thought process...if it is anything like mine it is a big garbled at times.....love the red and white log cabins!.....and the houses you ended up doing...the quilting really finishes it off.....and the snow...we have had this conversation before I know but I think it would be great to have snow....! but only because it looks so lovely on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots to look. Would you believe that we have a chance of snow in our foreccast - and this is South Carolina! Sounds like we are all in for a rough winter. Your house blocks and quilt isjust so pretty. I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. now if you don't want the hassle of a giveaway..you know...counting entries, putting out all that effort to draw a name...you could just send those red log cabin blocks my way!
    seriously...the quilt turned out so great. your partner is going to be sooo pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love that scrappy quilt! I have a load of little triangles laying here, maybe I'll do one like this with them! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW I love the little quilt. The houses are perfect and someone is going to be very happy. I loved the churn dashes too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Lisa, all happening in your world at the moment! Snow!! Using white fabric in a house block! Scrappy quilt sandwiched! It may be cold outside but you are on fire girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa, the doll quilt is beautiful. could u do a tutorial on quilting with freezer paper?

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...LOL.....LOL.....i have sat here and chuckled all thru this post.....MY brain works the same way!!...I always seem to go the LONG way around getting a project off the ground......loved this post and your final product!!

    as for quilting your scrappy quilt....how about starting in the middle with a small circle and then just quilt around and around!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just received your quilt and I LOVE it! I can tell you put a lot of thought and effort and I am completely flattered! And what an amazing quilter you are! Thank you so much! My three year old loves it too and already stole it- but I will get it back! ha! I feel like such a lucky girl! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete